Update for readers:

When commenting on a post, you can choose to post as "anonymous" by selecting Anonymous from the drop-down box next to "Comment As."

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Comic Relief


I think it's pretty safe to say that anyone who battles with a chronic illness will agree that laughter is great medicine. That being said, there's not much about Crohn's or UC that is "funny" or "fun," but it certainly can provide us with some awkwardly hilarious situations.

It takes a brave person to not only share their story, but also to find the humor in it. Situations like this usually aren't funny at the time they happen - more embarrassing and humiliating. But if you can look back on an incident and laugh about it, you're doing something right!

It is here that I will share one of my own awkward, funny stories.

About a decade ago, I was shopping with my significant other at a local big-box store. I had felt fine the whole day, and we had just left a pizza parlor where we had dinner. This store had a counter with cash registers in the middle of the health and beauty section, which was where I was browsing. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I experienced a sharp pain in my stomach, right behind my belly-button. It came on so fast, I momentarily thought I was being stabbed! I crouched down in the aisle, cradling my stomach with my arms, hoping and waiting for this pain to pass.

Just as the sharp pain began to subside, I felt a strange tingling in my jaw, and my mouth began to water excessively. Something in my brain told me what was about to happen - I was going to vomit RIGHT NOW.

The restrooms were clear on the other side of the big-box store, and I knew there was no way I could make it to them without losing it along the way. I frantically searched around the aisles for a rogue trash can, to no avail. By this point, sweat was dripping down my face, and my significant other was keeping his distance - probably fearing I was turning in to a werewolf.  I rounded a corner and spied the counter with the cash register, with a very young man standing behind it. In the only voice I could muster up, I said, "I need a trash can!" The employee just stared at me for a moment, and said, "For what?" with a distrusting look on his face.

At this point, I could not wait any longer. I saw the trashcan behind the distrusting employee, and made a mad-dash OVER the counter. I hovered over that trashcan for a good 3 minutes while every last bit of my insides emptied themselves on top of purchase receipts and product packaging. When it was finally over, I slowly got to my feet and looked at the young employee. An utterly horrified look replaced his distrusting gaze, and he ran from behind the counter as fast as his skinny little legs would let him.

My significant other was standing across the counter with a concerned, but amused look on his face. He kindly said, "I'll go get someone to take care of that trash can."

When all was said and done, and I had apologized up and down to a very kind and understanding store manager, I really did feel physically better! I made sure to purchase a spare toothbrush and toothpaste before I left, and cleaned myself up in the store restroom. As embarrassed as I was during the entire debacle, I really felt sorry for that poor, young boy standing behind the cosmetics counter. I never saw him again, and I often wonder if he opted for a new career path.

It is also with a big chuckle that I can look back at this incident and see the chaotic humor. In that instance, as well as others, I learned that while much of the general public may not understand our disease, they WILL deal with it, whether they want to or not!

I hope sharing my story will help you take a look at your own embarrassing struggles with this disease, and find the humor. I hope it will help you to remember that despite these pitfalls, life does go on, and we survive the most awkward of moments.

I invite you to share your funny story! Remember, you can post anonymously in the comments if you don't wish to be known. How do you feel now that you look back on it?

8 comments:

  1. I was on my way to a very important career testing session, which I had to travel on the interstate most of the way to get there. I had recently had hemorrhoid surgery and was still trying to get my bowels to cooperate. I had been taking stool softeners for awhile because it hurt horribly when I "went." So I'm driving down the interstate and all of a sudden I have to go. Like NOW. Suddenly I couldn't hold it and it let loose as I was driving down the interstate. With my pants full of poo I took the nearest exit, which had a kwik trip near it. I pulled into the kwik trip and very carefully got out of the car (hoping noone saw me because I was as stiff as a board) and walked into the bathroom (like one of those cartoon characters that had straight legs and swayed from side to side to get somewhere,lol). I cleaned up the best I could and put toilet paper in my pants for the ride home. I had unfortunately already missed the test at this point. So, I drove all the way back home-45 minutes-in dirty pants. I still think of this every time I see a stool softener,lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you for sharing your story! I, too, have had a similar incident in a shopping mall. It was not pretty!

      Delete
  2. The "mom" in me feels so bad for you, Jessica AND for the anonymous person who posted above!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3, Mom. We always come out on top of our struggles. :)

      Delete
  3. I don't even have full blown IBD and I had such a near miss that it was, truly, spectacular. I have a sphincter of steel. However, every single other person in the women's bathroom at Target was probably instantly sorry they were in there, and then I had to ask someone for toilet paper because I HAD NO TIME TO CHECK FOR THINGS LIKE THAT. I was just happy I didn't have to buy underwear before I left, because I was truly afraid thats where my day was going. I've had lots of issues with my guts and they haven't been diagnosed IBD because they chill out with fiber supplements, iron pills and pepto bismol, so far.

    Having grown up around IBD, I'm probably one of the few who don't have it who consider themselves LUCKY when they're sweating bullets in Target, holding the big bottle of Pepto Max, telling themselves its all gonna be ok soon... I have it pretty good!!

    Plus I often text my cousin who is an RN, has worked in a nursing home, and will giggle at my poo stories with me. Humor does make it all better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your story, Krista! I've been known to clear out a crowded bathroom or two as well - it's oddly satisfying LOL

      Delete
    2. Now I am on a potent antibiotic for a wicked sinus infection... and my guts, again, are unhappy... today I tried to open a can of cat food, when that sudden "OH NO" feeling hit... Imagine this, I am running, full speed, being chased by Baxter, with a flyer of Culver's coupons stuck to my foot, and made it just in time to have kitty sitting in there looking at me like "I thought you were giving me food, not using the bathroom!" Sorry kitty, nature called, or rather, demanded! At least I had some coupons to read!

      Delete
  4. I received a private message with a reader's story, and I'd like to share it here because it is funny and so relate-able! (Name of poster withheld for privacy).
    " I was shopping in a grocery center with my boyfriend, getting some snacks because we were staying a weekend in a hotel as a get a-way and wanted some food and drinks. In the main hallway I started to feel bad, dizzy, sweaty, cramping...we had just passed this open area where you can buy certain foods and I think the smell of the food set me off. I stopped walking and my boyfriend seen me and came over and put his arms around me and ask me what was going on. I told him "I'm going to throw up....right now!" He looked around and the sign for restrooms was all the way down the hall and he knew we wouldn't make it. He took his coat off and put it around my face where I cradled it and then he held me against him and pushed my head into his chest. People around us thought he was hugging me and having an "awww" moment...the truth was I was throwing up into his coat. I was beyond embarrassed and upset...we walked out of the store and he grabbed a plastic bag on the way out and stuffed his coat inside of it, got me into the car and settled and then run back inside and bought himself a new coat because it was winter and snowing. When he came back out he showed it to me and I told him "I knew you wanted another coat for Christmas so I thought I'd help you out." That was my gift to him that year. You learn, it's a horrible thing but you'll get by it. You move on, it's the worst thing in that moment, but that passes and there's the next moment and the next, as long as time doesn't stop moving then you're going to be fine. =)
    I've also had a couple ileostomy bags break in public too and the insides go everywhere!! Tryin' to explain it to someone and tellin' them they need to change their clothes quickly and shower because you just got crap all over them is the worst! LOL"

    ReplyDelete

You are NOT required to register with any site to comment!
If you wish to comment anonymously, choose "Anonymous" from the drop-down box next to "Comment As."