Update for readers:

When commenting on a post, you can choose to post as "anonymous" by selecting Anonymous from the drop-down box next to "Comment As."

Sunday, December 14, 2014

Get Well Never


Any Crohn's patient can tell you, there are good days and there are bad days. We all strive to have more good days, but those bad days always sneak their way in.

Today, I'm having a good day! The shingles outbreak seems to be less painful and guts are *gasp* behaving. That, or I'm just getting accustomed to pain.

My pain tolerance has grown over the years, thanks to Crohn's Disease. While most people would find this to be a positive trait, I'm scared of it. I find myself putting up with pains that would place most people into the fetal position on the nearest bathroom floor. Ignoring these pains and aches could be detrimental to my health.

That's most likely how I ended up with two fistulas in my intestines. These things are extremely painful, and the beginning ulcers would have been extremely painful. But I wrote off the pain as if it were just Crohn's being Crohn's, contracting my guts and making me uncomfortable. Early intervention may have prevented those ulcers from becoming fistulas.

Feeling too much pain, vomiting too much, or having an overabundance of ANY symptoms should never be taken lightly. But when you go for weeks, months, or even years with persistent pain, it becomes second nature. I'm sure there have been many times when I should have gone to the hospital to address my symptoms, but I chalked it up to "just another flare."

So, please, fellow Crohnies and UC Buddies, consider every symptom you experience, and really think it through before ignoring it or writing it off as "nothing." Symptoms are the warning signs of problems, and we need to take care of them before they take over our bodies!

Be seen by a health professional as soon as humanly possible if you experience:

  • Unusual or new pain
  • Fever - even low-grade fever can indicate infection
  • Sudden weight loss (more than 10 lbs in one week)
  • Bloody vomit or stools
These symptoms are not uncommon for Crohnies, but they can indicate something serious brewing in your body.

Obligatory disclaimer: The contents of this blog are of my own education, experience, and opinions. In no way should any information in my blog be used in lieu of proper medical or nutritional care. Use common sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment

You are NOT required to register with any site to comment!
If you wish to comment anonymously, choose "Anonymous" from the drop-down box next to "Comment As."